About Arafura Dragons Paddlers Club
The Arafura Dragons Paddlers Club was formed in 2000. The Club has a rich history in the establishment and development of Dragon Boating in the Northern Territory.
Our aim is to be a fun, fair and friendly club where members can improve their skills, get fit, have fun and be successful in their paddling endeavours. We envisage a club where members achieve unity and commitment to the well-being of fellow paddlers with fair play, friendship and a competitive sporting spirit.
We train as a combined group all year round at Cullen Bay Marina and on Darwin Harbour. Member age ranges from 12 to 70 and are from a diverse range of backgrounds and skills. The Club participates in international events, local regattas, the Darwin Beach & Paddle Series and other community events. Other events have included the Katherine Gorge Flying Fox regatta, Darwin City to Surf and Mini Surfer, NT Red Cross Katherine Canoe Marathon, Katherine Ultra Marathon, and the Ord River Marathon.
Arafura Dragons have had Club representation in the Australian Dragon Boat Team Auroras
- In July 2013 World Championships in Hungary – Alan Culbertson, (Senior C) – 4 Gold and 2 Silver Medals
- In 2014 – Dragon Boat World Cup, Fuzhou, China – Tadek Rudz (Premier) – 2 Bronze Medals
- In 2015, as a result of the expertise of our Coach Alan Culbertson and through the dedication of current membership, the Club achieved the largest representation from the NT in the Australian Auroras Team for the August 2015 World Championships in Canada. Six of our club members were selected as 2015 Auroras in the team categories of U16 – Thomas Rehrmann, Premier – Tadek Rudz, Senior B – Colin McDonald (Sweep), Tammy Culbertson, Willi Rothlisberger and Senior C – Alan Culbertson. The team representation brought home 23 medals in total, 8 Gold, 14 Silver and 1 Bronze.
- In October 2017 – World Dragon Boat Championships, Kunming, China – Alan Culbertson (Senior C), Tammy Culbertson and Colin McDonald (Senior B).
- In August 2019 – World Dragon Boat Championships, Pattaya, Thailand – Colin McDonald (Senior B) – 3 gold medals and 4 bronze medals
This continues Arafura Dragons Paddlers Club proud representative history in the Australian national team.
The Club’s best result at the Australian National Titles has so far been in 2002 where 2 Gold and 6 Silvers were won in the National Titles and 2 Gold, 5 Silver and 1 Bronze in the Club Crew event.
We are an inclusive Club and welcome new members. If you’re interested in a taste of dragon boating, come along to any of our training sessions. The first 3 training sessions are free.